Even if you follow a healthy diet and workout regimen, you may find yourself struggling with certain pockets of stubborn fat. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Stephen Miller can help you address these pesky problem areas with liposuction surgery. Also known as lipoplasty, liposuction breaks up unwanted fat cells and removes them from your body, helping you to achieve the fit, slender figure you’ve worked so hard to achieve.
To learn more about liposuction, please call Stephen M. Miller M.D. today at 702-369-1001 to arrange a free initial consultation. Our friendly Las Vegas office welcomes men and women from throughout Nevada, including Henderson, Summerlin and nearby areas.
This page discusses the following liposuction-related topics:
- What Is Liposuction?
- What Areas Can Liposuction Treat?
- Benefits of Liposuction
- Is Liposuction Right for Me?
- Laser Liposuction
- Ultrasonic-Assisted Lipoplasty (UAL)
- Your Liposuction Procedure
- Liposuction Recovery
- Maintaining Your Lipo Results
- Liposuction pricing
- Schedule Your Free Liposuction Consultation Today
Liposuction is a surgical body contouring procedure that can improve your figure by removing excess fat from stubborn areas between the skin and muscle. These fatty deposits are often resistant to diet and exercise, making them almost impossible to eliminate with regular healthy activity.
During liposuction, a small tube called a cannula is used in conjunction with a specialized suction pump to remove fat from almost any part of the body. The cannula is inserted through tiny incisions in the skin. Traditional liposuction uses tumescent fluid, a medical fluid that is injected into the treatment area to swell the fat deposits, allowing for complete fat removal.
There’s almost no part of your body that liposuction cannot treat, making it one of the most widely performed plastic surgery procedures in the country. Some of the most common body areas patients choose to have improved by liposuction include:
- Abdomen: The midsection can be very difficult to sculpt with diet and exercise, especially after dramatic weight loss or pregnancy. Liposuction can effectively remove persistent fat from this area and provide a fit, flat-looking belly. Liposuction is often performed as part of a tummy tuck, for patients with excess skin and fat in the stomach area.
- Hips: The hips are notorious for harboring excess fat cells, particularly in women. This often unwelcomed reality can be remedied with liposuction, restoring a slim and feminine contour.
- Thighs: As many already know too well, the thighs are another region of the body that tend to accumulate excess deposits of unwanted fat. Liposuction can eliminate that stubborn fat and reveal slender, attractive legs.
- Arms: Just like other parts of your body, your arms can store fat that does not respond to diet and exercise. Liposuction can deliver the fit, toned arms you’ve worked so hard to achieve.
- Breasts: Liposuction is often used in breast reduction surgery. While women undergo breast reduction surgery to ease the physical discomfort and inconvenience of having overly large breasts, men suffering from excess breast tissue, known as gynecomastia or “man boobs” often seek treatment to restore a masculine physique.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Stephen Miller is qualified to provide the highest level of care and exceptional results for his patients seeking liposuction and other body contouring treatments.
If you suffer from stubborn pockets of unwanted fat that don’t respond to diet and exercise, you are likely a good candidate for liposuction. It’s important to understand that liposuction is not weight loss surgery. It is intended to tone specific areas and improve your contour.
You may be an ideal liposuction candidate if you:
- Are at or near your ideal weight
- Are in good general health
- Have good skin elasticity (do not have a lot of excess skin)
- Do not smoke or are willing to quit before your procedure and throughout the duration of your recovery
- Have realistic expectations for your results
- Can closely follow Dr. Miller’s pre and postoperative instructions
The best way to know for sure whether or not liposuction can realistically achieve your aesthetic goals is to meet personally with Dr. Miller in a free initial consultation. During your free consult, Dr. Miller will discuss your goals and concerns, evaluate your physical condition, determine your lipo candidacy and explain all of your treatment options.
Liposuction can transform your figure and improve your self-confidence. It’s no wonder that the procedure ranks among the most popular cosmetic surgeries in the U.S. Benefits of liposuction include:
- Immediately visible results
- Firmer, more contoured physical appearance
- Higher self-esteem and improved body-image
- Long lasting results
- Can be combined with other procedures for enhanced results
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY PROCEDURE?
The importance of liposuction preparation should not be underestimated. Taking the right steps before your surgical date will set you up for a smooth recovery and optimal results.
Our practice will provide detailed instructions to help you confidently get ready for liposuction. Among other directions, you may be asked to adhere to the following preoperative guidelines:
- Stop smoking at least one month before your procedure
- Discontinue blood-thinning medications and herbal supplements
- Fill your prescriptions
- Notify our practice of any signs of a cold or infection
- Take time off work
- Arrange for a ride home
IS LIPOSUCTION SAFE?
Liposuction is generally considered to be a safe method of fat removal. However, it is crucial to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon for your procedure. A provider with these credentials will have the training and experience needed to minimize complications and reduce side effects.
While liposuction has a low complication rate when performed by a skilled surgeon, it carries a few risks, such as hematomas, seromas, and burns (depending on the liposuction device).
As a patient, there are things you should do to promote a successful liposuction surgery. Our preoperative and postoperative directions are in place to keep you safe and encourage great results. Be sure to follow them carefully and contact our practice if you have any questions.
CAN LIPOSUCTION BE COMBINED WITH OTHER PROCEDURES?
As a standalone surgery, liposuction is a fantastic way to eliminate stubborn pockets of excess fat. However, it can also be combined with other procedures to achieve any additional cosmetic goals that you may have for your figure. Dr. Miller will gladly develop a customized surgical plan.
Here are a few procedures that are compatible with liposuction:
WILL I HAVE SCARRING AFTER LIPOSUCTION?
Every type of liposuction surgery requires the use of small incisions. Fortunately, these incisions are so tiny that the scars left behind are often incredibly difficult to detect after they have healed.
Keep in mind that not all liposuction scars are created equal. Factors such as your inherited scarring tendency and the techniques used during surgery will play a role in your final results. Our board-certified plastic surgeon can give you a better idea of what to expect. He will be able to show you before and after photos of his liposuction patients. He can also offer scar-fading tips.
LIPOSUCTION BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
You and Your staff have been so wonderful to me since the first day we met. You saved me in so many ways, I could never thank you enough. I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time. I feel so beautiful, safe and cared for. You did such an incredible job! I appreciate you!!”
If you’re looking for an advanced way to eliminate fatty deposits while simultaneously tightening your skin, SmartLipo may be your ideal solution. SmartLipo utilizes laser energy to break up fat cells, which are then removed through a cannula. The process is safe, effective and can reduce the signs of cellulite and tighten your skin.
Ultrasonic liposuction (UAL) utilizes a special tube that emits ultrasonic energy to liquefy fat, which is then suctioned out. This technique is particularly effective at removing larger amounts of fat in a single session, or in cases when hard-to-reach target areas require a more advanced approach. Benefits of Ultrasonic liposuction include:
- Decreased recovery time
- Reduced risk of trauma to surrounding tissue
- Reduced risk of bruising
- Complete removal of excess fatty tissue
- Consistent, beautiful results
Dr. Miller will discuss all of your liposuction options during your initial consultation and help you determine the best method for your unique goals and physical condition.
Like every procedure performed by Dr. Miller, your lipoplasty will be a fully customized procedure tailored specifically for you. Based on the area being treated, the extent of work needed and whether your lipo is performed as a stand-alone treatment or in conjunction with another procedure such as a tummy tuck, your treatment plan will be as unique as you are.
While no two liposuctions are exactly the same, on the day of your procedure, you can usually expect:
- Anesthesia: When you arrive for your procedure, a dedicated anesthesiologist will administer your anesthesia. Dr. Miller will discuss this process with you and determine the best method to ensure your comfort and safety.
- Incisions: Incisions will be made by Dr. Miller in the area you have targeted to remove unwanted fat. Dr. Miller makes these incisions as small and discreet as possible.
- Fat removal: Dr. Miller will insert a small tube called a cannula into the small opening. The fat will be removed through this tube. Depending on the method of liposuction that is being performed, this process may be assisted by laser energy, ultrasonic energy or a more traditional method.
Dr. Miller will discuss the details of your lipoplasty in detail prior to your procedure. He will provide you with detailed pre and postoperative instructions so that you will know what to expect before, during and after your surgery.
“From my consult to my surgery to my post operative care, Dr. Miller and his staff have been outstanding. I’ve never felt rushed and all questions and concerns were always answered in a timely manner either via telephone or email. I’ve ALWAYS gotten a prompt, friendly, professional response which I did not receive from other “highly rated” surgeons in the area. I’m also thrilled with the results of my surgery. Dr. Miller not only met but exceeded every expectation.” – Keri, Google Review
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Stephen Miller has helped patients achieve their aesthetic goals for over 20 years. He understands that you want exquisite results that are natural-looking and a recovery that is as comfortable and rewarding as possible. His incisions are small and discreet. He uses the most advanced liposuction techniques to ensure your recuperation is quicker and easier. Liposuction is an outpatient procedure with a short recovery time. You will most likely be able to return to work just a few days after your procedure and resume your regular activities in about two weeks.
You’ll need to rest the first few days after your liposuction, so make sure to prepare your home with comfortable pillows and bedding. Dr. Miller will provide you with a compression garment to wear during your recovery. This will help to:
- Hold the dressing and sutures in place
- Increase circulation
- Reduce fluid accumulation and swelling
- Adhere the skin to the underlying tissue
Although they are very small, liposuction surgery does involve incisions, and Dr. Miller may prescribe antibiotics to help prevent possible infection. Following your procedure, you may experience some discomfort, numbness or post-surgical swelling. Any discomfort you may experience can easily be managed with medications.
While it is important to rest after your surgery, it is also recommended that you walk as soon as you can after your procedure. Start at a gentle, easy pace. Walking helps to prevent blood clots from forming and promotes optimal healing. Avoid more strenuous exercise for two weeks or longer, as directed by Dr. Miller.
To a certain extent, your liposuction results are permanent. Once unwanted fat is removed, those fatty cells are gone for good. However, without making an effort to maintain your newly toned physique, new fat cells can accumulate. Some ways you can help to maintain your lipo results include:
- Proper nutrition: Avoid processed foods and foods high in sugar. Try to stick to eating vegetables and lean proteins. If you need a snack, skip the chips and have some fruit or nuts.
- Stay active: For at least an hour a day, embark on a simple activity such as walking, swimming or jogging. This can help you feel better and prevent weight gain.
- Exercise: More intense forms of activity will help to enhance your liposuction results. Although rigorous exercise isn’t required to help you maintain your results, weight training, resistance training and power yoga are fantastic ways to further tone and sculpt your frame.
- Smart Lipo: $2799 first area
- Each additional area: $999
- Skin Tightening to each area $1000.00
- Traditional Lipo: $3900 first area
- Each additional area is $1200
Preparing for Liposuction
One of the most crucial ways to prepare for liposuction is to be as close to your goal weight as possible. People at or near their ideal size tend to achieve the best liposuction results. Reaching this goal may be difficult or frustrating because seeing that number on the scale doesn’t mean you’re happy with your size, and that’s where liposuction comes into play.
You may need to stop taking certain medications in preparation for liposuction, such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, and supplements that can increase your risk of complications, such as excessive bleeding.
People using nicotine must quit before liposuction and stay dedicated to cessation through their recovery (ideally, beyond). Nicotine affects your blood vessels and how blood flows through your body. Any invasive procedure requires excellent blood flow for the body to heal, or you may risk developing a blood clot.
You will spend a week or more at home after liposuction, and many patients prepare for liposuction recovery by creating a comfortable healing space in their living room or bedroom. Collect healthy snacks, water bottles, remotes, chargers, pillows, blankets, and other creature comforts that may help you during those first few days after liposuction. Grab comfortable clothes from your closet and put essential items within reach. You can prepare and freeze healthy meals or purchase easy-to-make foods to fuel your body for healing.
Arrange for help getting to and from the surgical facility on the day of your liposuction and fill your prescriptions beforehand. Ask a loved one to stay with you for a few days or longer to help with chores, children, and pets.
Is general anesthesia required for liposuction?
The type of anesthetic used for your liposuction procedure depends on the size of the treated area and the number of body areas. Small-volume liposuction, like the submental area (double chin), may only require local anesthetic, which allows you to be awake for the procedure. However, the abdomen, thighs, back, and other larger areas typically require general anesthesia. Dr. Miller will recommend the type of anesthesia that offers the best safety profile while keeping you comfortable and numb for the duration of the procedure.
Who can perform liposuction?
While any physician can perform liposuction, some doctors are more qualified than others. Plastic surgery is an art form that blends aesthetics with science. Board-certified plastic surgeons understand these nuances better than dermatologists, general physicians, and cosmetic surgeons. It’s best to choose a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery because this ensures they have additional years of training, specifically in plastic and reconstructive surgery, and have passed rigorous written and oral exams on procedures and best practices.
Will I lose weight with liposuction?
Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure nor a solution for obesity. It is a fat removal surgery that focuses on improving your overall body shape by eliminating stubborn fat. You may not see a dramatic change on the scale after liposuction, but you will notice a slimmer contour. Liposuction patients may lose up to five pounds, but the goal is a sculpted figure.