Indications for Laser Skin Resurfacing:
- Superficial, and moderate to deep lines and wrinkles on the face due to age, hormonal changes, stress, and sun damage. Especially those wrinkles found around the eyes, lips, forehead and cheeks.
- Surface irregularities such as acne scarring and pitting.
Intended Result of Laser Skin Resurfacing:
- To reduce lines and wrinkles on the face, revealing a softer, smoother and more youthful appearance.
- To soften and smooth out acne scars.
- To repair sun damage.
- To stimulate regeneration of healthy skin cells and collagen.
- To achieve a smoother, fresher, more youthful looking skin.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure Description:
- Using the safest and state-of-the-art lasers, Las Vegas plastic surgeon Dr. Stephen Miller will pass a “wand-like” mechanism over the areas to be treated. The laser administers a high energy controlled beam of light which vaporizes scarred, lined, wrinkles, and other skin imperfections without the use of scalpels or stitches. The laser stimulates the production of collagen, creating a tightening of the skin. Once the damaged skin is removed, softer, smoother, younger looking skin is revealed.
Length of Laser Skin Resurfacing Procedure:
- Laser treatments can take anywhere from a few minutes to hours depending on the number of areas to be treated.
- This procedure is done on an outpatient basis. Some sedation may be given, either locally or by IV, depending on the depth of the treatment administered.
Laser Skin Resurfacing Recovery & Aftercare:
- Minor discomfort following the procedure.
- Bed rest following the procedure is recommended.
- Light activity for the first week.
- Resume normal activity in about 10-14 days.
- In the first few days following the procedure, your skin will weep as new collagen is formed to rebuild the skin from the bottom up. Skin must be kept moist with liberally applied ointments to prevent crusting.
- Patients may expect swelling to progressively resolve over the first several days and the initial redness to fade to pinkness over the first few weeks.
- Make-up can usually be resumed after 7-10 days.
- Apply sun block of at least SPF 15 when in the sun.
- Laser skin resurfacing is a cosmetic procedure and is therefore not covered by insurance.
- The Obagi skin care system is recommended for all patients desiring laser treatment.
- Laser resurfacing will not eliminate deep wrinkles or sagging skin. Fat transfers, a facelift or eyelid surgery may be better indicated for some patients.
* Please discuss these additional options with the doctor.
Call Stephen M. Miller M.D. at 702-369-1001 to reach his Las Vegas office.