6 Things To Avoid After Hair Transplant Surgery
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Serving Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin, and Nearby Nevada
April 15, 2022
Hair loss is thought to affect 80 million men and women in America. If you’re dealing with a receding hairline, widening part, or bald patches, hair transplant surgery might be the solution.
This effective procedure can often help restore a much fuller and healthier-looking head of hair. However, good aftercare is key, so you’ll need to avoid these six things for the best results:
- Intense workouts: Rough activity has the potential to dislodge your hair grafts immediately after surgery. Ease back into exercise under our surgeon’s recommendation. You should avoid even light workouts for some time.
- Sun exposure: The sun can work against the healing process in a few different ways. First, it can dry out your hair follicles, which isn’t ideal. Second, it can harm your scalp, hair follicles, and underlying tissues. And finally, it can even darken your surgical scars.
- Tight hats: You might want to cover your head during the recovery. However, close-fitting caps can rub against your scalp and disturb your transplanted follicles. Instead, reach for something very loose that won’t create friction on the treated areas.
- Scrubbing your hair: Our plastic surgeon will tell you when it’s safe to wash your hair. At that point, use gentle products and avoid any harsh scrubbing or rubbing motions.
- Getting a cut or color: Now’s not the best time for salon appointments. Haircuts can agitate your relocated follicles. Meanwhile, the chemicals in hair dye can negatively impact the survival of your hair graft. Consider these services out of the question while you heal.
- Hairstyles that pull: Some hairstyles, such as tight updos, braids, and knots, can actually lead to a type of hair loss called traction alopecia. The same goes for wearing hair extensions or weaves. Looser hairstyles are recommended after surgery.
This list is a helpful guide to your recovery. However, it’s not the only thing you should consult. Our practice will provide you with detailed information about proper hair transplant aftercare.
READY TO FIGHT BACK AGAINST HAIR LOSS?
Hair loss doesn’t have to rule your life. You can take control with hair restoration surgery.
Call 702-369-1001 for a free consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Stephen Miller. We welcome patients from Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin, and nearby areas of Nevada.
Category: Hair Replacement