What is Dermaplaning?
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Serving Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin, and Nearby Nevada
January 13, 2020
Dermaplaning is a non-surgical method of exfoliation that can improve your complexion. The treatment can revise deep acne scars and remove “peach fuzz,” or vellus hairs, to leave skin smooth and soft.
If you have concerns about acne scars or other skin conditions, board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Stephen M. Miller, can help you find a solution. He is trained in surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures that can address scars, signs of aging, and uneven skin tone.
HOW DOES DERMAPLANING WORK?
Dermaplaning gently removes the outer layer of skin to smooth and even out your complexion. Dermaplaning can be done manually with a scalpel or with an electronic tool called a dermatome, which is a hand-held device with an oscillating blade.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DERMAPLANING?
The obvious benefit of dermaplaning is the improvement you will see in your skin, such as a reduced appearance of acne scars and brighter, smoother skin. In addition to beautiful results, dermaplaning has the following advantages as a skin treatment:
- Quick procedure – Depending on the size of the treatment area, a dermaplaning appointment can take as little as a few minutes. Even if you are addressing a larger area, the procedure will likely be completed within an hour.
- Painless – Unlike dermabrasion, micro-needling, and other procedures, dermaplaning is a painless procedure.
- Affordable – Dermaplaning is an affordable alternative to laser skin resurfacing.
- Enhances other skincare treatments – Though often done as a stand-alone treatment, dermaplaning can be done prior to a chemical peel, facial, or other skincare procedure to maximize results.
- Safe – There is a low risk of complications. Dermaplaning is even safe for pregnant women.
- Increased penetration of skincare products – Once dead skin cells are out of the way, serums are absorbed more efficiently, which can improve the efficacy of skincare products.
As it is a non-invasive procedure, you will not have an extensive or complicated recovery. You may experience temporary redness or skin sensitivity after treatment.
The most important part of your aftercare is protecting the new skin that is revealed after the dermaplaning exfoliation process. You will need to avoid harming or irritating the new skin, which involves avoiding abrasive cleansers, chlorine, and direct sun exposure.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU GET DERMAPLANING?
Your skin cells live about three weeks. Regular dermaplaning sessions can promote healthy cell turnover by removing built-up dead skin cells. Monthly treatments are often recommended to maintain results.
For more dermaplaning information, schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Miller. In your consultation, you can discuss your treatment goals with Dr. Miller. He will assess your skin and determine if you are a good candidate for dermaplaning or if an alternative treatment would better address your concerns.
Brighter, smoother skin is only a phone call away. Call us at call us at 702-369-1001. We serve patients in Summerlin, Henderson, Las Vegas, and the nearby areas.
Category: Non-Surgical Rejuvenation